The government contract novation process can be tricky when it comes to buying or selling a business that has federal contracts.
- Immediate help available
- Get help from government contract professionals before things go to far.
- Save tens of thousands of dollars by avoiding common mistakes with federal novation agreements
Most companies know that the federal government can novate a contract when it is in the interest of the government. The novation contract should be a mutual benefit between the contractor and the government.
Companies should be extremely careful about liability under federal novation law, false representations about business partnerships and operations of the transaction and potentially violating the Anti-Assignment Clause which expressly prohibits selling government contracts.
- Contract novation disputes can arise in a bid protest case
- Keep in mind that even after a novation is approved, the impact of that contract novation can severely harm you in a bid protest. These are areas that we can help you in.
With any buy-sell transaction involving federal government contracts, the buyer and the seller should understand the difference between a government contract novation and assignment of contract. Watson & Associates, FAR novation agreement attorneys help to:
- Avoid federal criminal liability and appearance of fraud pass-through schemes
- Make sure that your transaction complies with FAR requirements
- Get professionals to oversee the entire buying or selling process on your behalf.
- Increase your chances of getting contracting officer contract novation approval.
- Show that you as the new contractor has the capability to perform
Companies engaging in mergers and acquisitions where there is a FAR novation agreement involved want to stay clear of the Anti-Assignment Act. A simple novation agreement without a full legal analysis can cause unnecessary problems. Find out about affirmative defenses to breach of contract.
Any violation of the law will void the novation agreement and even could create federal criminal liability. This just creates unnecessary problems. Many corporate attorneys may choose to help with the buying and selling process. However, without a clear understanding of federal government contracting law and FAR 42.12 novation law requirements, making the merger and acquisition process work can be daunting.
If you are involved in allegations of criminal misconduct, call our federal criminal defense attorneys at 1-866-601-5518 now.
FAR 42.1204 Government Contract Novation Agreement Services
Watson & Associates’ lawyers and consultants have over 30 years of experience in government contracting and are passionate about exceeding our clients’ expectations. When it comes to Federal government contract novation law and novation vs assignment of contract, our attorneys can help with:
- Complete oversight of the federal government contract novation process;
- Drafting compliant novation agreement FAR 42.1204 documents;
- Assessing how a buyer’s small business size status can be affected (this is a common problem missed by the parties);
- Assessment of mergers and acquisitions of federal government contractors;
- Overseeing the contract novation process for asset purchase business sales;
- Help meeting other government contracts small business requirements in a novation contract;
- Working with your local state attorneys through the buying and selling process, and
- Overseeing the purchase and sale transaction to from beginning to end.
- Help for small businesses that are SBA 8(a) certified or some other government small business designation. Learn more about the small business set aside rules.
- We offer rates at a fraction of what large novation law firms charge.
- Get help with small business size and bid protest issues
- Prompt turnaround for buyer or sellers of government contractor businesses.
For immediate help meeting FAR novation agreement requirements under FAR 42.1204, call Watson & Associates’ novation agreement government contracts attorneys at 1-866-601-5518.
Immediate Novation of Contract Law Help
Watson & Associates LLC has been delivering results for government contractors since we opened in 2003. As government contract law attorneys, we understand the novation legal issues that arise in the novation of contract process with government contracts and the problems that buying and selling a business can create. Our goal is to federal contractors with high-level guidance in the FAR novation agreement process.
We understand the requirements for government contract novations in FAR 42.12 and how to prepare viable novation agreements. We can help each transferor or buyer to adequately prepare the contract novation and to be mindful of the legal definition and meaning of novation in federal procurement. Our goal is to help the client to work the with the contracting officer to get the best possible result.
- Avoid the temptation to get a canned contract novation agreement template. It may not meet federal contracting requirements.
- You need more than just a simple novation agreement and to have a legal transaction.
- Understand how an asset purchase can severely impact your small business size status as the buyer.
- As the new party, you want to be able to demonstrate that you can perform the contract.
How Court Decisions on Government Contract Novation Law Can Impact FAR Novation Agreements Under FAR 42.1204
What is a novation agreement ? FAR 42.1204 suggest that stock purchases do not require a novation contract. However, an asset purchase sale does require a government contract novation. Nevertheless, in either situation, it is still up to the contracting officer’s discretion on whether or not to approve the assignment of contract through a novation agreement. See the difference between government contract assignment Vs contract novation.
The Meso Scale Diagnostics v. Roche Diagnostics case seems to better address federal government contract novation law on the issue of treating reverse triangular mergers as being a stock purchase. In this situation, a novation contract agreement would not be required.
As a purchaser or seller of a business, you should be aware that the Meso court decision suggests that the reverse triangular merger does automatically convert into an assignment by operation of law, and as an exception to the Anti-Assignment Act.
- Regardless, it is still up to the contracting officer to be involved in the novation of the contract process.
Contact our Federal Government Contract Novation Law Attorneys
Now that you are aware that the government is not obligated to approve your novation agreement, if you need professional novation legal help with a federal government contract novation agreement and FAR42 process, call Watson’s law firm today. Use our Contact Us page to tell our contract novation law lawyers about your specific situation or call toll-free at 1-866-601-5518. FREE INITIAL CONSULTATION.